Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday

Sunday Book Suggestions.

'Lasting Damage' by Sophie Hannah.






This is something I have never done on my blog before so I am a little nervous but there was NO WAY I could not tell as many people as I can find about this book. It's Incredible. Also I thought Sunday seemed the perfect day to curl up with a book and some hot Ribena. Especially if the book is as good as this one.


Anyone who knows me can tell you I'm a complete wimp. I've never been on a rollercoaster, sleep with the bedsite light on, and the scariest movie I've ever seen is the Scooby Doo movie which I couldn't even finish! But recently I have been getting very into thrillers (books not movies). I cant stop. Its an addiction. I may need thriller rehab.


I have read quite a few great ones in the last few months but none are as good as the book I have just finished. Before I go into detail I must explain that I did cheat a little and listen to the excellently read audiobook, which I would definitely reccomend to all those who like to knit and read at the same time.


I came across 'Lasting Damage' really late one night when I was desperatly searching audible.com for something new to read. The blurb immediatly got me excited and I downloaded it striaght away:


"It's 1.15 a.m. Connie Bowskill should be asleep. Instead, she's logging on to a property website in search of a particular house: 11 Bentley Grove, Cambridge. She knows it's for sale; she saw the estate agent's board in the front garden less than six hours ago.

Soon Connie is clicking on the 'Virtual Tour' button, keen to see the inside of 11 Bentley Grove and put her mind at rest once and for all. She finds herself looking at a scene from a nightmare: in the living room, in the middle of the carpet, there's a woman lying face down in a huge pool of blood. In shock, Connie wakes her husband Kit. But when Kit sits down at the computer to take a look, he sees no dead body, only a pristine beige carpet in a perfectly ordinary room . . ."




You couldn't not be intrigued by that incredible twist and although this may seem like enough to carry a whole novel this is one of the many terrifying, exciting and un-believable twists throughout the whole book.

Not only is this book an amazing thriller, and super exciting it is also exquisitely written and covers some really interesting issues such as marriage and moving away from home and trust. One of the things I loved most about this book is the way that you are not always certain if the charcter you are being told the story by is completly mentally stable and this makes everything a lot more exciting.



As you can proabably tell from awfully this review is written, I haven't written a book review since Year 4. But all I am trying to say is that 'Lasting Damage' is the best book I have read in a long time and maybe even ever and if you are looking for something, exciting, compliacted, clever, well written, sad and complex. This is the book for you. And even if you aren't looking for any of these things, It's still the book for you!


Love Scarlett.




3 comments:

  1. Oh that sounds really good, I'm a real wimp too so will have to give it a try. I'm half way through the Friday night knitting club at the moment and am really enjoying it, thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wondering about audible.com - do you have a membership? Just saw the 3.99 a month which goes up to 7.99 for one book a month - I don't think that's very good value? What do you think about it?
    - Oh and definitely much better than a Year 4 review :P x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Esther - So glad you are enjoying the knitting club, i only started it because I love knitting but it ended up being a way better book than i expected.

    The girl who procastinates - I have the 2 book monthly deal and i find its actually pretty great. it's £14.99 a for two books and most books on the website are £15 or more so you are basically getting one free book a month. Also the credits for the books build up so sometimes i will log on and have 3 books I can buy. see what you think but i really like my deal. hope this helps x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...