Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday

10 Days To Go - The Empty Stocking


If there's two things I love in this world (apart from knitting and dogs and cats and all that other stuff I love), it's Christmas and books! So when my Dad decided to write a Christmas book I was pretty excited! When I found out Rebecca Cobb was going to illustrate it I was just  a little bit more excited and when I found out it was my job to make a cake for the launch party I was pretty much over the moon. 

I may be a tiny bit bias what with it being written by my Dad and the fact that I would pretty much love any book if it had a sparkly Christmas tree on the front, but the book is very good! It's about two twins at Christmas and I'm not going to give away the ending up it does end very happily (can you imagine a kids book with a sad ending!). Anyway the story is very good, the illustrations are amazing and if you are buying a present for a child this Christmas I would most definitely recommend (or you could just pretend you were buying it for a child and buy it for yourself!)

I made the cake a few weeks ago when the book came out and we all carried it down to our lovely local book shop (Lutyens and Rubinstein) and ate the cake while reading the book! I would love to say I hand carved the cake myself but that would be a lie, I had a book shaped cake mould (please don't ask why, I honestly have no idea!) which you can buy here. I made a plain white cake and covered it with jam and white fondant icing. Then I used cake pens (if you don't own these already, please ask for some in your stocking!) to draw the illustrations and writing on the cake. My favourite bit was the pages on the sides I think, and the lopsided tree! You can see more pictures below. 

Here is the link to the book on amazon however if you do get the chance to buy it in a book shop please do! Because book shops are amazing and amazon isn't! 

I hope everyone is having a lovely Christmassy weekend and enjoying the weather. 
Lots of Love Scarly x





7 comments:

  1. Very exciting, looks like a cool book. There are a few kids' books with sad endings, Grandpa by John Burningham (my mother banned me from watching the film when I was small because I always cried too much, which was silly because it was that good sort of crying) or Goodbye Mog for example. It can be good to help kids to explore the sad side of life, but not in a book about a Christmas stocking I agree! Yummy looking cake

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I WISH I COULD MAKE CAKES LIKE YOU! Speaking of books, I'm trying to convince my mom to buy me "Knitting Amagarumi".

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello. Wow! A book to eat! Is that brain food or what? Haha! Your cake is very, very nice! A book cake mold? Whoda thunk it? It was made just for you!! I had a heart shaped one once! Baking rocks! I think it is possible to have your cake and eat it too (if one does their chores as well)! I am pretty fond of fondant! It seems very difficult to make because of all of the work. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Scarlet! I think your blog is wonderful and posy is just lovely! I study fashion knitwear and have a puppy obsession so we have a lot in common. I have two wire fox terriers :) Double trouble! I am your newest follower and I'd love it if you could come visit me over on my blog,
    Emma

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...